Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mother's Day

This year for Mother's Day instead of buying flowers for my mom and all my aunts I decided to do something a bit more personal and from the heart. This year I sent out invitations to all the mothers in my family inviting them to a special Mother's Day Breakfast, someone else was doing the cooking for a change.
I made the invitations (which I hand delivered), arranged for flower orders (I wanted to make my own arrangements so I special ordered flowers), set up seating arrangements, even made special place cards. For weeks I'd been planning on doing this, editing the menu at least 3-4 times... here is what I finally settled on.
On the Menu:
Champagne Sangria
French Toast Casserole with Praline Topping
Scrambled Eggs
Brown Sugar Glazed Bacon
Home Fries
Assorted Fruit Platter
Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
Strawberry Tart
Coffee & Juice
Here is what the table looked like for when the moms walked in. BTW I even folded the napkins (after washing and ironing them).


A view of the centerpieces. In the middle I used fresh lemons and limes and then in the two side pieces I had a base of limes which held up the Hydrangeas (such a good summer flower!).



These were the place cards I made so that everyone knew where to sit.


I was going to take pictures of the food, but since I'm trying to stick with just desserts I just photographed the strawberry tart. Here it is...


A close-up of the goodness of the strawberries!


This puppy tasted even better than it looked. I got the recipe from Gourmet Magazine. It's a little time consuming and the recipe isn't terribly hard but can be temperamental. I served the breakfast buffet style so that the mom's could choose what the wanted and how much, but everything else was served by yours truly. I tended to those women like one's business, making sure they didn't have to get up for anything...after all it was Mother's Day. After everyone was done eating I had a candle for each of them, which I wrapped in a cute pink tulle bag. Look at those content faces after breakfast!

From Left to Right: Kathy Jo (Marc's godmother), her mother Joette, Tia. Liz, Tia Licha


At the Head of the table Tia. Mana, Mrs. Acosta (Cindy's Mother-in-law), Cindy, Madrina Dora

Finally...MY MOM! and Kathy Jo (Joette didn't notice I was taking the picture)
After all was said and done I had a great time throwing this for them, and I'm pretty sure they enjoyed it as well. Before they left, I was asked if this was going to be a yearly tradition...as to which I responded "We'll see". Take care y'all!
Luv,
-Chris-

No comments:

Post a Comment