Monday, May 4, 2009

Easter Cookies

I know very well that Easter is in the past but due to my procrastination and busy weeks I hadn't posted the pictures of the cookies I made. This year I set out and did cookies for several reasons...
1. I'm totally on the cookie band-wagon
2. I can do several designs
3. Last year we had way to many cakes, so I opted for something different.
Weeks before I began baking I had to decide which of the many cutters I have would make it for these cookies. Having bought this particular cutter for the sole purpose of Easter I had to do bunnies, next easter eggs (duh, like i was gonna let that one go), since it's spring lets do flowers...perfect daisies and tulips, and finally how about a chick. Now to bake and decorate.

I have to say that the bunny cutter has got to be one of my favorite cutters I've recently purchased. These guys were super cute. I frosted them with white royal icing, added pink for the nose and ear detail, the eyes and whiskers were drawn on with a black food marker, and lastly I added cotton tails to them with more royal icing and while wet sprinked sanding sugar on top.

How cute are they?!




Next I did the eggs and chicks. I cut out a bunch of eggs, like a dozen or so...but WAIT where is my chick cutter...OMG I FORGOT TO ORDER THAT ONE :(
I looked everywhere for a cute chick cutter but all i could find were ducks...really ducks for Easter? So I took to cake central for inspiration. After searching a few pages I found the cutest idea for little chickies using some of the egg cookies I had already made.
Take a look....


A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E....RIGHT?! I couldn't stop looking at them if only i had cut out more egg shapes to make more. Everyone at the BBQ loved these, to bad i only had 4.

Here's a close-up of the little cutie


The tulips came out really nice as well. After I had iced them and allowed them to dry completly I went in and added detailing to them with petal and luster dusts. I think it gave them a more realistic look.




I did the same thing for the daisies but it didn't come out as noticible so I added yellow sanding sugar to the centers.






Here are the Easter eggs i did. Some were done in the more traditional egg designs and others I went with either a mod motiff or floral and scroll work.
My personal favorites are the pink with paisly design and the orange one w/ the daisies.



My first fave!


I also like this orange one!


After all the decorating was done I packaged and sealed them all with my handy dandy impulse sealer and finally placed them all in a basket. When all was said and done there were about 56 cookies in there, give or take a few that "broke" along the way, aka had to have a snack!





During the holidays I usually make small baskets or boxes of cookies for neighbors so where is one that I did for them.


So there you have it...my spring and easter cookie basket for this year. I think I'm gonna fight to do a cake for next year, although fun these suckers were super time consuming. Have a good one guys!

Luv,
-Chris-

4 comments:

  1. jesus. Those chick cookies are so adorable. You should send me some samples....I'M SERIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll have some samples for you when you get down here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are markers that you can write on food with?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup there sure are markers for food. They use food coloring instead of the ink...the best product ever! Beats having to use the small piping tips for writing. I used them on the poker chip cookies and the engagement cake in other post.

    ReplyDelete