Friday, July 17, 2009

In the Jungle the Mighty Jungle!

So the last post for today is of a cake that I did last weekend. Our next door neighbor asked if I could do a cake for her sister's 40th birthday party...how could I say no! When asked what they were looking for she told me she wanted something very chic and sexy looking, she had been to a party where the cake had animal prints of zebras, cheetahs, and leopard. I told her that I had done prints before I just needed to know which ones and how big did they need this to be. It was to be a cake for 50, and she didn't want anything bigger than a two tier cake...perfect now which prints. We ended up doing zebra and cheetah prints. I love to mix up shapes on cakes when I can so I choose a 10" square with a 6" round.
Now I've got to be honest with you, I've done a zebra print before and it's no problem...hello you just cut strips of black fondant and lay them. The cheetah print on the other hand kinda threw me for a loop. Thank god for my mom's shoes I had her bust out some heels she bought in Vegas that had a cheetah print so that I could copy the base color as well as the look of the spots. After all was said and done my worries were for nothing I think it came out looking good!
What do you think?
When I got the order for this cake it was on Tuesday which left me little to no time to prep things since the cake was for Friday @ 6:30 pm. So making a sugar flower to go with it wasn't feasible, thank goodness for HEB floral dept. They had just gotten in these gorgeous lavender mums which I think add to the exotic look of it all! I know some might be thinking "you put a fresh flower stem into a cake?" The answer is "No, I didn't". Once I decided where to put this beauty I look one of my bubble tea straws that I use for support between tiers and inserted that into the cake, then I piped some butter cream into the straw, and finally trimmed the stem to go into it without going all the way through.
Here is a close up of the Zebra print. For the boarder on this part I stripped a bag with both white and black butter cream and then piped the boarders. Credit must be given to my mom, she edged me this idea by asking if it was possible to pipe two colors together.

On the cheetah print after I cut and applied all the spots to the cake I got some brown gel color and painted the edges of the brown fondant spots to give the two tone look that cheetah spots have. The color was diluted with a little bit of vodka to create the paint and then I used a very fine tip brush.


Here you can see the two tone effect better.


Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at what I've been up to. I swear I'll be more diligent and keep up with things. I'm currently working on two cakes for tomorrow so I should have those posted sometime next week, as well as the videos up on youtube (look up user name azeboi2005). Take are and have a great weekend!
-Luv-
Chris
Check out my youtube channel @

2 comments:

  1. dude i thought this cake was for becca! looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you need to put flavors of the cake man!

    ReplyDelete