Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Birthday Cake with a Twist!

Last month I got a call from one of our good neighbors who asked if I could help her out and do some stuff for her daughter's school birthday party. Being that her daughter's actual birthday is in July their school celebrates all the summer birthdays at the end of May, so you can imagine by this time all the kids were pretty much done with cake and cupcakes. She wanted something different but delicious for the kids, so she asked if I could do a cookie cake which instinctively responded "Sure!" (truth be told I had never some one before, but I've read about them on cake central so how bad could it be?). Then she went on about wanting to give the kids something to take home, but something other than a "bag of junk". Honestly this was my favorite part, I suggested on a Rice Krispie Treat cake slice. I had seen these done before and have been itching to give them a go, luckily she agreed and that was that.
The first thing I worked on were the cake slices. I made two huge batches of RKTs and for fun added some m&m minis to them. Next I pressed them into 2 -10" cake pans lined with foil and greased with a little butter. After they were allowed to firm up I went and cut perfect "cake slices". Here is where the fun began, knowing that these puppies needed to be packaged I used royal icing for all the decorating...
  • Purple borders topped with sprinkles
  • Hot Pink "filling"
  • Soft Pink drop strings on the sides
  • Hot Pink rosettes w/ a Cherry on top (Nice finishing touch)

Here is how they turned out....




For the cookie cake we kept it very simple, chocolate chip cookie NO NUTS! Then I decorated it with simple butter creme icing doing some pink and purple daisies (my favorite flower of the month).





Since the party was on Wednesday, I delivered everything Tuesday night...boxed everything and yes drove it to her house.





Being that this was my first attempt at doing everything here, I think it turned out rather nicely! Most definitely the "cake slices" were my favorite part. I wonder who's birthday I can do these for?
Till next time....
Luv,
-Chris-




1 comment:

  1. Cookie cakes are FAN-tastic! I once ate 3/4th of one on Valentine's Day a few years back. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete